9.7.09

Can your plants do this?

I am writing this post especially for my mother who is, right now, checking all her blogs, and complaining (mildly) that her daughters have not posted anything for ages. Here is a picture of what I found when I unloaded my plant press recently after two weeks in the drying cabinet:
From Tractable

This plant was collected and pressed on May 23. The press went into the dryer on June 18 after I had collected more specimens on a road trip. I unpacked the press on July 6 (the succulent plants take a long time to dry). In case you fail to appreciate what is going on here, note the little whitish, downward-pointing stem in the middle of the photograph: this is etiolated new growth that grew IN THE DRYER. A couple of other specimens had also produced new growth while in the dryer.

1 comment:

  1. A new post! Hooray! How do you explain new growth in the dryer? Your samples must really like hot, dry conditions. Or else they have a mighty survival mechanism.

    ReplyDelete