27.9.08

An appropriate follow-up

I had just left the ward building after the General Relief Society Broadcast.
As usual, I headed straight out the door after the closing prayer before anyone could stop me to chat. It's not that I don't like to chat so much as that I like to move. When it's time to go, when an event has ended, I like to feel that sense of movement under my feet without delay.


I felt inspired and comforted
by the messages given in the meeting.

It seemed to me that the issue of women's equality in the Church with men was given a clear and powerful treatment. I was grateful for Elder Uchtdorf's message. I felt motivated to strengthen my efforts to get more involved in the Relief Society, to be a better steward, and to continue the personal creative pursuits that give me satisfaction.


I got in the car, turned on the radio,
and pulled out of the parking lot.

Our local NPR station, WUNC, produces a weekend-evening program called "Back Porch Music", featuring acoustic roots and folk music. On Saturday night, when I turned on the radio after the General Relief Society Broadcast, an old Gospel recording was playing. There were two singers whose voices wove over a quick-shuffling rhythm, echoing this refrain:


"When the Lord gets ready, oh, you've got to move."


"You may be high, you may be low,

You may be rich, you may be po'.

When the Lord gets ready,

You've got to move."


A quick search
turns up four or more different recordings of this song,

including a cover by the Rolling Stones, and some uncertainty as to its origin. Unfortunately, the Back Porch Music playlist for this past weekend has not yet been posted, so I'm not sure who I heard on the radio. I think it was Two Gospel Keys (aka Emma Daniels and Mother Sally Jones, a guitar and tambourine duo), from the disc "Rev. Gary Davis & Guitar Evangelists, Vol. 2". You can listen to a sample of the track via the link. I found another version that certainly was not the one I heard, but that I like very much; it's by Brother Joe May on Nashboro Records. Here is the blog where I found this recording.

No comments:

Post a Comment